Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits
About The Role
We've got a rare and exciting opportunity to join lead our Payroll team. We're looking for a Payroll Manager to play an integral role in ensuring we deliver an efficient and effective payroll service to over 12,000 employees.
Inheriting a strong and dedicated team of Payroll Supervisors and Payroll Administrators, you'll have the opportunity to work closely and develop the team, leading them through an exciting phase as we move onto a new payroll system; MHR I-Trent.
You will report directly into the Head of Financial Reporting & Control and have direct access to the CFO; enabling you to influence and be supported while working on various project opportunities.
You and the team will be responsible for ensuring all 9 of the company’s payrolls are processed accurately and on time. Managing a small team, the role has overall responsibility for all areas of payroll including team management, payroll processes and procedures, payroll systems, driving process improvements, and providing payroll-related guidance and support to the business.
The role has oversight for all elements of payroll from data input, processing, review, audit, HMRC submissions, payroll reconciliation, and BACS processing.
What You Will Do
- Administers and runs all payrolls across the business in accordance with operating procedures and deadlines ensuring that all payrolls are processed efficiently, effectively, accurately and are paid on time working to strict deadlines
- Responsibility for ensuring starters and leavers are processed correctly and in a timely manner, and that appropriate controls are in place;
- Oversight of the processing of all BACS payments in line with strict payroll deadlines;
- Ensures pension payments are made on a timely basis in line with the Pension Scheme rules;
- Processes payments and statutory/voluntary deductions in accordance with internal authorisation procedures;
- Ensures that payroll consistently reflects up to date legislation and best practice, being the payroll subject matter expert for the business;
- Responsible for accurate and complete year-end processes and submissions including P11d’s meeting strict deadlines set by HMRC;
- Overseeing the continued bedding-in of the new business payroll system & subsequent subject matter expert involvement in any follow-on project stages
- Maintains and improves payroll policies and processes, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Provides reporting on a regular basis and manage internal and year-end external audit deliverables required from the department;
- Manages team performance by allocating priorities and workloads to enable direct reports to achieve and exceed individual and team goals and objectives;
- Coordinates with HR on changes in terms and conditions, employee incentives, and system updates;
- Builds the capabilities, tools, and skills within the payroll team, driving high levels of individual accountability, engagement, empowerment and development. Includes responsibility for providing support for all direct reports to be successful in their roles;
- Actively manages the talent and career paths of individuals within the payroll team, including conducting performance and development reviews and succession planning with all direct reports;
- Accountable for setting and delivering challenging KPIs and team targets managed through day to day guidance and direction.
- Payroll experience with previous payroll management experience;
- Payroll Diploma or relevant payroll qualification (Desired)
- Experience of MHR I-Trent (Desired)
- Proven experience of payroll team management, coaching & mentoring
- Up to date knowledge of payroll regulations and employment law
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of developing and maintaining SLAs with internal stakeholders
- Excellent systems experience including strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Results driven with proven record of meetings multiple and tight deadlines
- Experience of HMRC regulations with past experience of HMRC audits desired
- Experienced at change management and driving process improvements
- Previous experience of working with Time & Attendance systems
- Team player with strong leadership skills
- Previous Retail & Distribution Payroll experience (Desired)
- Competitive salary plus car allowance
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Up to 10% bonus potential
- Hybrid working, 3 days in the office, 2 days at home
- 20% discount in-store and online
- Private Healthcare
- Group Life Assurance
- Early Finish Friday (3 pm)
- Flexible working hours
- Training, development, and support tools through a variety of channels thanks to our Talent Development team - including managerial masterclass to achieve your team goals and objectives
- Onboarding scheme
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits