Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits
About the Role
This role is accountable for the day-to-day management and milestone delivery of multiple commercially focused workstreams. This role directly impacts the successful delivery of a new Matalan 5-year Growth Programme.
As Project Manager your primary purpose will be to lead a collection of commercially focused workstreams and help the business teams within deliver their milestones. There will be significant levels of cross-functional working within a varied and fast paced retail environment.
Some of the workstreams will include elements of IT change, delivered by our IT teams. The Growth Programme workstreams will run in parallel and be complementary to any technology changes.
You will have experience of leading workstreams where the focus is on milestones, plus a view on the e2e impacts of change. You will deploy a high level of emotional intelligence to build trust and confidence with teams that operate in a demanding BAU environment. You will work closely with the business change team to ensure a seamless delivery to customers, and colleagues in the business.
Primary Tasks / What You Will Do
Take responsibility for the management and successful execution of workstreams that may span across multiple business units.
Work closely with the BAU teams within the workstreams to ensure we are deploying our resources effectively
Provide strong leadership to the Workstream team
Ensure adherence to the agree standard of workstream / programme governance.
Build strong working relationships rapidly across the workstreams.
Manage and communicate project interdependencies clearly.
Ensures that realistic and accurate estimates of costs, timescales, quality, and resource requirements are agreed and proactively manages any deviations through to project closure.
Contribute to overall team dynamics, e.g., Provide coaching and guidance to others
Support the governance framework of the programme (Coherent plans, Risks, Issues, Dependencies, Workstream meetings, Steering meeting)
Support workstreams with clearing blockers to progress, rapid problem solving, creative thinking.
Adapt workstream plans and resource assignments as required throughout to respond to emerging requirements
Bring together cross functional teams, acting as the link between them
- Work positively with the full range of individuals and groups involved in the Workstreams, including quickly developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Demonstrate leadership and ownership for the Workstreams.
- Ability to find and support innovative ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Influential and adaptable and maintains integrity when dealing with complex and ambiguous situations arising from risk, issue and change management.
- Demonstrate good coaching and outcome-based performance management skills.
- Pragmatism: finding the best way to run each workstream with the senior team
- Able to handle considerable ambiguity, particularly in the start-up phases
- Be committed to and demonstrate in your work our core values of “think customer”, “think family”, “be real” and “be the best”
Key Competencies / Skills / Experience
- Proven track record demonstrating effective leadership and management in a workstream / projects environment, with a focus on quality and results.
- Strong knowledge of project management methodologies
- Ability to use PowerPoint, Excel, Word, MS Teams to a good standard
- Ability to build a coherent plan, effective risks, issues, dependencies, and run workstream meetings against the agreed plans
- Flexible and pragmatic in working practices
- Substantial commercial acumen and financial awareness
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good knowledge of programme and project organisation structures and the ability to build workstream teams that are set up for success.
- Good execution of influencing techniques from Operational SMEs to senior stakeholders
- Understanding of how Technology Projects are delivered alongside commercial workstreams
- Experience in effective team coaching and supporting high performance teams.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills with the ability to work proactively with minimal supervision.
- Preferably educated to degree level.
- Project Management Qualification preferred (APM, PRINCE2 or similar)
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 11,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits