Support Shift Manager - Maternity Cover
Liverpool Liverpool Knowsley Distribution Centre, Acornfield Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7UF 53.4827 -2.8479
Competitive plus benefits
About the Role
We’re recruiting for a Support Shift Manager to join our team at Knowsley DC to cover maternity leave. Reporting to the Senior Operations Manager, this role will support the 4o4o shift managers, providing shift cover where necessary as well as providing additional management resource to develop and deliver key efficiencies and projects. Initially this will include the smooth transition and embedding of the Pocket Sorter. You will work rotating 6-2/2-10 shifts, although some flexibility will be required, and will be accountable for ensuring a consistent operational approach across all 4 shifts. You will work collaboratively with other business areas ensuring the best possible customer service both internally and externally. You will also be required to proactively initiate, develop and deliver business change projects led by the Senior Operations Manager.
- Be a high performing leader with honesty and integrity that drives business performance, and setting your team up for success. This will be done with authenticity, self awareness and understanding the impact you have and the culture you create.
- Drive business initiatives ensuring they land and the team are fully compliant across a 24/7 omni-channel operation. Initially the smooth transition, support and integration of the Pocket Sorter will be a key priority.
- Deliver DC projects by taking a more holistic view of the operation, ensuring consistency across each shift and driving a ‘one way of working’ approach.
- Support the Operations Manager in improving efficiencies within the DC by driving a ‘be the best’ culture.
- Support the 4o4o Shift Managers with shift planning, set up, Next Day fulfilment etc.
- Work with the CI team to proactively develop and deliver more streamlined ways of working always looking for ways to improve operational flow and performance.
- Drive a culture where colleagues enjoy coming to work, you are a role model of our brand and values.
- Embrace a culture where you prioritise both internal and external customers.
- Empower the team to make timely decisions in the best interest of the total site’s performance, as well as supporting them to manage difficult situations and challenging conversations with colleagues.
- Operates with pace, resilience and keeps the team focused on the current priorities as well as looking ahead to upcoming volumes and events.
- Creates a learning culture throughout the site, by being approachable, open and honest.
- Create a learning environment of self development using resources available such as Matalan Education.
- Be an ambassador for Health & Safety creating a positive ‘behavioural’ safety environment.
- Ensure all company procedures and standards are consistently and fairly applied.
- Support the operational team managing complex ER issues in a timely manner, liaising with your HRSS contact to ensure effective and consistent outcomes.
- Create strong working relationships with key stakeholders, i.e. Control Room, Transport, Ecomm Trading etc
- Effective communicator to all levels within the business.
- Be visible to all team members to drive collaborative working and build trust.
- Awareness and contribution of budget planning for the DC Operations as a whole.
Shifts: 6am-2pm, 2pm–10pm
Effective from October 2021 to November 2022
- Demonstrable and successful delivery of significant change projects while leading sizeable teams in a manufacturing , fashion, FMCG and/or home ware Ecommerce and Retail distribution centre
- Proven track record of developing , managing and improving automated solutions to optimise productivity and flow
- Ability to demonstrate an excellent customer and colleague focus
- Strong leadership and organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Commercial thinker
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Understand and interpret all Warehouse Management Systems (Nova, Manhattan etc) in order to drive decision making
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Competitive plus benefits