Senior Project Manager
Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits
About The Role
As a Senior Project Manager your primary purpose will be to work with cross functional teams to manage the delivery of major initiatives or multiple medium sized initiatives within a varied and fast paced retail environment. These initiatives may involve changes to multiple IT systems; the introduction, removal or modification to technical architecture; and / or significant business change
Reporting into the central change function but working closely with IT and business functions you will deliver multiple initiatives, working with multiple remote 3rd parties and with both internal and external senior stakeholders. You will operate within a hybrid framework that encompasses both waterfall and agile tools and techniques and will be able to pragmatically apply them as required.
You will have experience of leading the delivery of software and IT change, as well as the delivery of non IT business initiatives. You will have a solid appreciation for how change impacts the business and / or end customer. Working with the business change team to ensure a seamless delivery to the end user / customer.
The delivery capability at Matalan is evolving, as is working within a hybrid (waterfall / agile) environment. This way of working is relatively new and still taking shape within the business and part of the role will be to help mature hybrid ways of working.
Primary Tasks / What You Will Do:
- Responsible for delivering initiatives within a hybrid delivery framework. Setting up the appropriate overarching approach / governance for each initiative
- Where required; working closely with the Product / Business Owner to support the Executive Owner in translating a strategy and vision to the delivery team and turning it in to operational tasks for the team
- Owns the organisation and facilitation of all planning related tasks. Depending on the project this may be for example driving the planning process to develop high level plans for the whole project, and mid-level and detailed plans for each stage/work stream, identifying activities, tasks, dependencies and milestones or this could be providing transparency on product and sprint backlogs, supporting the development of a product roadmap alongside sprint and release planning
- Encourage and lead project teams to ensure that framework processes are followed helping them to adopt processes that work best for the team whilst driving delivery.
- Responsible for identifying and recommending improvements and assist in changes to working practices
- Collaborate and support the Product / Business Owner to manage internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information
- Facilitate discussion and conflict resolution. For example, prioritisation of initiatives within the team’s backlog
- Adapt project plans, schedules, and resource assignments as required throughout in order to respond to emerging requirements
- Bring together cross functional teams acting as the link between them
- Feed into the wider project portfolio governance through:
- Transparent and active risk and issue management
- Dependency management
- Clear and succinct status reporting
- Milestone and roadmap reporting
- Prepare project briefs and work with 3rd parties to agree work orders that cover Matalan’s needs and driving good value
- Review and approval of deliverables on behalf of Matalan IT as appropriate
- Ensure service teams are fully engaged and the transition and handover of initiatives into ongoing service and support is facilitated successfully.
- Actively communicate and engage with stakeholders and senior users at all levels of the organisation up to CxO level where required
- Keep up to date with latest project management tools, trends, and best practice to help drive innovation and efficiency within the delivery team.
- Provide coaching and guidance to other team members
- Provide sustained and effective financial management and control of the project / roadmap budgets, including:
- Formulating initial budgets and the regular re-estimation of forecast outturn
- Ensure efficient and effective use of capital expenditure whilst protecting time and quality
- Understand, appreciate and manage impacts to operational expenditure through the delivery of initiatives
- Responsible for working with the wider eCommerce, IT teams and third parties to ensure that initiatives are delivered to budget; formulating and managing mitigating actions where required
- Purchase order and invoice administration and reconciliation
- Proven track record in a similar role
- Significant project / programme management experience including planning, reporting, budgetary and issue/risk management
- Flexible and pragmatic in working practices
- Strong working knowledge and have successfully applied a variety of delivery frameworks (eg waterfall and agile) and best practices
- Comfortable and confident managing hybrid project teams (waterfall and agile). Competent with both waterfall and agile ways of working and tools
- Substantial commercial acumen and financial planning
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to handle difficult or sensitive situations and explain complex material in a simple and easy to digest fashion
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills both with internal stakeholders and 3rd party suppliers.
- Substantial experience managing IT 3rd party suppliers and partners both on and offshore
- Strong analysis and decision-making skills with keen attention to detail
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills with the ability to work proactively with minimal supervision.
- Extensive, proven and successful track record demonstrating effective leadership and management of project teams as a senior project manager, with a focus on quality and results.
- Working within a strong team with plenty of opportunity to learn and further skillset
- Playing a vital role in implementing key initiatives which will drive the business further
- Work in forward-thinking sector which always challenges itself to move forward and do things differently
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Hybrid working environment (WFH & Office)
- Competitive salary + substantial benefits
- Private Healthcare
- Discount Scheme
- Always on Feedback
- Wellbeing Day
- Early Finish Fridays
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 11,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits