Junior - Midweight UX Designer
Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits
About the Role
We’re Matalan! You may know us from one of our 232 UK retail stores but over the last year or two, we’ve experienced exceptional digital growth. We’ve invested in our award-winning e-commerce team and have an exciting opportunity for a talented Senior UX designer to come join us.
You’ll join a passionate multi-disciplinary UX team as we strive to create a world-class omni channel shopping experience for over 12 million active online customers.
In this role, you will work as part of an established and successful UX Team to design best-in-class digital experiences, embodying UCD (User Centred Design) principles with strong visual design ability and a working knowledge of responsive design, especially designing for mobile devices.
You’ll work closely alongside a team of UX Designers, Researchers and Experimentation Analysts utilising quantitative insights and qualitative research methods to take initial business requirements through to completed wireframes and prototypes. You’ll be part of a broader cross-functional Agile Delivery Squad where you will work with Product Owners, Business Analysts, Developers and QA Engineers to create the best possible digital experience for our customers.
What You Will Do
- Create concepts designs for customer and business needs, through to live changes on site/in app
- Engage with stakeholders to bring to life our customers digital experience
- Understand product specifications and how to apply user psychology to your designs
- Develop user flows, wireframes and prototypes based on our customer needs & expectations
- Work closely with UX Research during the Discovery phase of creating a digital product
- Collaborate with our Experimentation team to test your riskiest ideas and refine your assumptions through the design of A/B tests and other experiments.
- Evangelise and promote a lean, fast-paced and iterative process — comfortable forming hypotheses, articulating problem statements and generating proto-personas.
- Communicate design ideas and prototypes to developers
- Attend collaborative, cross-functional workshops to explore a variety and volume of design solutions, backed by insight and data
- Support the developers through the launch process
- Keep up to date with competitor products and industry trends
- Working alongside the Marketing Teams to ensure synergy between the brand and the product
- Creative problem solver who loves to collaborate
- Degree in design or related discipline
- Examples of creating engaging digital shopping experiences
- Fluent proficiency with design tools, particularly (Figma, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite or similar)
- Good knowledge of A/B testing methods & tools
- Good understanding of UX research and how to interpret findings into actionable insight
- Able to apply Lean UX techniques to a problem
- Experience of running remote and/or face to face usability/user testing is desirable
- Thrives on working closely with stakeholders to achieve a common goal
- Good understanding of of UX best practices and agile methodologies
- Ability to coherently shape creative solutions around customer needs
- Proactive self-starter
- As a UX designer at Matalan, you’ll spend your time working to understand our customers within a user-centred design process to solve some of the biggest challenges in retail. We’re looking for someone with an excellent approach to problem solving within a team, who’s comfortable in the face of big ambiguous omni channel customer problems.
- You’ll take full advantage of our purpose-built and state-of-the-art UX lab and remote research tools, working with a dedicated research team to uncover insight and identify user needs.
- You’ll be able to shape our digital products and will be comfortable prototyping at a range of fidelity, from pen and paper sketches to fully interactive, animated prototypes built with the latest tools.
- We’re an ambitious and forward thinking team. You’ll be able to bring your ideas to life through visual and UI design, to support the design direction for matalan.co.uk
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family, you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive plus benefits