Head of ESG (Environment, Social & Governance)
Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Depending on experience
About the Role
At Matalan, we care about real people, real lives and real action and so are on the search for a Head of ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance), who can support us in leading, developing and delivering continued progress with regards to our ESG agenda and strategy.
The right person will be at the forefront of new and emerging ESG trends within the fashion industry and will play an integral role in helping us translate this into meaningful action that makes a difference for Matalan. You will need great leadership and relationship skills, as you will play a key part in facilitating cross functional teams to deliver an aligned plan across the whole organisation
You will make sure the strategy meets the needs suppliers and customers ensuring the organisation is correctly positioned as a responsible and sustainable value retailer.
- Work with key business owners (Trading, Facilities, Marketing, HR & Retail) to set and review short and long-term ESG related goals and targets.
- Develop appropriate processes internally to ensure the continuous monitoring and evaluation of business performance against the agreed measures of success.
- Ensure ongoing tracking and prioritising of the ESG/ sustainability roadmap ensuring appropriate business response to emerging trends, relevant legislation and business risks and opportunities.
- Coach and educate the business, ensuring your expertise is translated into a fit for purpose plan for Matalan and aligned to our overall business strategy.
- Owning and leading quarterly ESG roadmap updates to the executive board.
- Work alongside the ethical trading and compliance team to support our ethical policy standards
- Drive a cross functional forum who will create and own the business’s end to end ESG plan –short- & longer-term vision.
- Develop a communication strategy, to engage colleagues and external stakeholders on Matalan’s approach, success & future commitments to ESG.
- Work in partnership with Sourcing, Buying, Facilities & HR to build a Marketing & PR Roadmap
- Feed into a Corporate ESG Hub -communicate our ethical, environmental, manufacturing and people policies, Charity commitments and sustainable credentials
- Have productive and relevant relationships with external bodies, acting as our face of ESG externally eGFI, BRC
- Own all ESG related data, ensuring appropriate reporting externally e.g. NGO’s and media.
- Identify external partnerships that will support Matalan’s 's ESG ambitions.
- Several years relevant experience and a proven track record in implementing ESG/ sustainability programmes.
- Demonstrable experience in business and operational transformations
- In depth knowledge of the regulatory landscape across the globe regarding ESG (including ethical & manufacturing, energy and carbon reduction)
- Agility and adaptability to work well within a fast growing and evolving international discipline
- Strong analytical skills to assess and interpret complex data
- The ability to lead, inspire and drive clarity of goals, vision & processes cross functionally
- A collaborative approach with the ability to work well and get buy in from diverse stakeholders
- A flexible and agile approach to work both strategically and operationally to deliver
- Experience of delivering an ESG programme ideally within the Retail/Fashion industry
- Excellent communication skills the confidence to communicate up and down the organisation and with external stakeholders
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Depending on experience