Senior UX Designer
Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive Plus Benefits
About the Role
We’re Matalan! You may know us from one of our 230+ UK retail stores but over the last year or two, we’ve experienced exceptional digital growth. We’ve invested in our award-winning e-commerce team and have an exciting opportunity for a talented Senior UX designer to come join us.
You’ll join a passionate multi-disciplinary UX team as we strive to create a world-class omni channel shopping experience for over 12 million active online customers.
In this role, you will work as part of an established and successful UX Team to design best-in-class digital experiences, embodying UCD (User Centred Design) principles with strong visual design ability and a working knowledge of responsive design, especially designing for mobile devices.
You’ll work closely alongside a team of UX Designers, Researchers and Experimentation Analysts utilising quantitative insights and qualitative research methods to take initial business requirements through to completed wireframes and prototypes. Owning design projects and driving forward change, you will also be part of a broader cross-functional Agile Delivery Team where you will work with Product Owners, Business Analysts, Developers and QA Engineers to create the best possible digital experience for our customers.
As a Senior UX designer at Matalan, you’ll spend your time working to understand our customers and
lead a user-centred design process to solve some of the biggest challenges in retail. We’re looking for
someone with a practiced and fluent approach to problem solving, who’s comfortable in the face of
big ambiguous omni channel customer problems.
● You’ll take full advantage of our purpose-built and state-of-the-art UX lab and remote research tools,
working with a dedicated research team to uncover insight and identify user needs.
● You’ll be able to shape our digital products and will be comfortable prototyping at a range of fidelity,
from pen and paper sketches to fully interactive, animated prototypes built with the latest tools.
● We’re an ambitious and forward thinking team. You’ll be able to bring your ideas to life through
expert visual and UI design, which you’ll also utilise to shape the design direction for matalan.co.uk
and evolve our existing style guide for both our website and mobile app.
- Take ownership of design projects from concepts through to live changes
- Engage with stakeholders to bring to life our customers digital experience
- Understand product specifications and how to apply user psychology to your designs
- Develop user flows, wireframes and prototypes based on our customer needs & expectations
- Work closely with UX Research during the Discovery phase of creating a digital product
- Collaborate with our Experimentation team to test your riskiest ideas and refine your assumptions through the design of A/B tests and other experiments.
- Evangelise and promote a lean, fast-paced and iterative process — comfortable forming hypotheses, articulating problem statements and generating proto-personas.
- Create, update and manage implementing our UI kit across all digital platforms for a seamless experience that delights our customers
- Communicate design ideas and prototypes to developers
- Facilitate collaborative, cross-functional workshops to explore a variety and volume of design solutions, backed by insight and data
- Support the developers through the launch process
- Keep up to date with competitor products and industry trends
- Working alongside the Marketing Teams to ensure synergy between the brand and the product
- Give and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality
- Mentor junior members of the design team and prioritise workloads
- Minimum of 3 years experience within a similar UX design role
- Degree in a design related discipline
- Creative problem solver who loves to collaborate
- Proven track record of creating engaging digital shopping experiences
- Solid & fluent proficiency with design tools, particularly (Figma, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite or similar)
- Good knowledge of A/B testing methods & tools
- Good understanding of UX research and how to interpret findings into actionable insight
- Able to apply Lean UX techniques to a problem
- Experience of running remote and/or face to face usability/user testing
- Thrives on working closely with stakeholders to achieve a common goal
- Expert understanding of UX best practices and agile methodologies
- Ability to coherently shape creative solutions around customer needs
- Proactive self-starter who can organise and prioritise work for the design team
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive Plus Benefits