Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive Plus Benefits
About the Role
As a Fabric Negotiator you will support the Fabric Manager and be responsible for the implementation of cost savings through fabric counter costing and benchmarking, fabric engineering, nomination and the identification of fabric consolidation opportunities across the business.
- Responsible for the delivery of Matalan's sustainability strategy relating to fabric and raw materials.
- The fabric negotiator will analyse fabric qualities and fabric costing information - to identify saving potential.
- Challenging costs to capture savings and deliver improvements to the product cost without detriment to the product quality and taste levels - ensuring that Matalan achieves its goal of delivering outstanding value to our customers.
• Responsible for managing your own workload in line with key business milestones and critical path dates, ensuring all deadlines are adhered to accordingly
• Undertake regular benchmarking of our competitors to identify possible fabric engineering and cost saving opportunities..
• Secure cost savings through effective negotiation with existing, and potential alternative suppliers using fabric counter costing and cost benchmarking, fabric engineering, nomination and fabric consolidation – to ensure that Matalan purchases the best fabric at the best price.
• Virtual Manufacturing and Core Lines – Review the fabric quality and costs for selected volume line products to support true costing breakdowns.
• Identify and implement fabric consolidation opportunities across the business to fully utilise economy of scale.
• Facilitate nominated fabric implementation, coordinating with nominated mills to manage fabric commitments including the process of holding `greige` where necessary to support flexibility
• Responsible for the delivery of Matalan`s sustainability strategy relating to fabric and raw materials
• Formulate quarterly fabric trade reports to support the trading team during negotiations
• Communicate effectively within your team and wider business building strong collaborative relationships
• Work with the pattern and costing team to ensure that fabric prices and agreed widths offer a benefit to the overall product cost.
• Work with the trading and technical teams to Identify cost saving opportunities for current product with the aim to offer the teams the opportunity to capture cost savings as well re-invest in the product quality eg Fabric quality.
• Drive your own development delivering on both business and personal objectives
• Act as a role model and lead the way in forward thinking
• Rounded understanding of fabric cost, construction, quality and performance requirements.
• Appreciation and understanding of layplanning, fabric and apparel manufacturing and production processes
• Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong ability to build relationships with new and existing suppliers
• Good influencing and Negotiation skills
• Proactive and flexible approach
• Confident working independently and as part of a team
• Excellent organisation and planning skills as well as the proven ability to prioritise multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy in a fast paced and changing environment
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint & Word
• Always think Customer
• Drive actions to optimise the customer offer from a fabric point of view
• Liaise effectively with key internal and external customers building great stakeholder relationships
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Competitive Plus Benefits