Trainee Accountant - Financial Reporting & Treasury (Maternity cover)
Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Depending on experience
About the Role
We’re looking for a Trainee Accountant to join our Financial Reporting & Treasury team on a 12 month maternity cover basis.
As a Trainee Accountant you will produce accurate, up to date information regarding Finance and Treasury and get involved with the preparation of Management Accounts, Quarterly Investor reporting, Cash Flow management, Cash flow and Balance Sheet budgets and Year end Statutory Account preparation. As a key member of the Financial Reporting Team this individual will provide high standards of accuracy around month end, quarterly and annual reporting. The role will be a key point of contact for treasury related queries and will be a major point of contact for colleagues, auditors and external suppliers including banks.
- Update the daily cash flow forecast, working closely with the cash team to ensure everything is captured correctly, and the Treasury Accountant to present the movements to the monthly / annual cash flow in a weekly meeting to the Finance managers, along with investigation and analysis of cash flow variances to budget and implementing changes to continuously improve the cash flow models.
- Monthly production of the management accounts which are sent out both internally and externally, obtaining information from other finance and business wide teams.
- Assist the Treasury Accountant with the preparation of Q&A’s for senior Management to assist with the investor call.
- Assist with the preparation of consolidated and individual company statutory accounts and financial statements at the year end, ensuring compliance with accounting standards and be involved in the interim and year end statutory audit process.
- Ownership of certain cost areas within the P&L accounting for them correctly at month end, reviewing the costs incurred and future expected costs and updating / challenging any variances to budget, and preparation of half year and full year budgets for these P&L lines.
- Ownership of certain balance sheet accounts accounting for them correctly at month end, updating / challenging any variances to budget, and preparation of half year and full year budgets for these balance sheet accounts, along with providing support to the team with the preparation of the full Balance Sheet and Cash flow budgets.
- Ad hoc support to Financial reporting & Treasury Manager, completing mandatory surveys required by the office for national statistics and administrator of our Finance system Oracle
- Network with peers across the department and in the business in order to build effective working relationships and ensure that all deliverables are completed on time and to a high level of accuracy and that end to end processes are challenged within the departments to ensure continuous improvement.
- Academically strong and highly numerate with a relevant degree or financial qualification
- Ability to perform well as part of a team, working calmly under pressure and delivering to deadlines.
- Confident in managing changing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Hard working and committed to deliver high quality work, exceeding expectations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, confident and engaging when dealing with stakeholders.
- Demonstrates initiative and an eagerness to learn and develop personally, together with a desire to take on increasing responsibility in the workplace.
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Depending on experience