Imports General Manager
Liverpool Liverpool Knowsley Distribution Centre, Acornfield Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7UF 53.4827 -2.8479
Dependent upon experience
With a vision to be the most trusted retailer of family value, we make sure our employees and customers are at the heart of everything that we do. We have an exciting opportunity to join us as our Imports General Manager reporting into the Supply Chain Director, where you’ll have responsibility for the end to end processes to deliver all Imports related activity.
This role will require the successful candidate to take full accountability for ensuring the smooth movement of goods from all suppliers, from Leicester to Shanghai, to Matalan’s UK Distribution Centre network so we’re looking for a collaborative leader, who’ll work closely with the cross functional department controllers to interpret the overall business strategy, ensuring the Imports strategy is aligned.
About the Role
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading and delivering all Imports related business initiatives, ensuring they do not impact on the supply of goods from suppliers and deliver the greatest cost efficiency for Matalan.
- Regularly review and negotiate contracts with suppliers and freight forwarders, ensuring Matalan receive the best possible value and service from all third parties.
- To be fully accountable for the off shore international hubs, includes the management of the sites, reviewing and negotiating annual rates of pay whilst driving regular communication with their management teams.
- Overall responsibility for all import/export suppliers and freight, ensuring products arrive into the business within set timeframes and regularly reviewing freight charges.
- Ensuring that all import programs are in agreement with the accepted rules and regulations and delivering updates on changes to rules, policies and programs of customs (import and export) as and when required.
- Reviewing, planning and delivering an Imports strategy that supports the Sourcing strategy and is in line with Matalan’s overall business needs.
- Actively working with the Merchandising and Logistics teams on planning, volumes and any changes to plan as well as liaising with other departments to ensure the flow of products into the business.
- Formulating and delivering information and data into logical format presentations that are referred to by stakeholders and identifying and recommending potential business improvements.
- Managing and mentoring the Imports team to ensure their continued development, both operationally and behaviorally
- Acting as an industry expert in shipping and freight markers, identify and escalate key changes and risks were necessary.
- Experience of Importing and Exporting
- Experience of working in a similar retail/logistics environment
- Knowledge of import systems
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience of working with budgets
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with Senior Leaders
In return you’ll become a valuable member of the Matalan family, receiving a full 360 induction to our business with exposure to our Executive Board from day one. You’ll have access to our extensive leadership development opportunities to support your growth as a senior leader along with our excellent benefits package including a generous holiday allowance, pension, healthcare and the opportunity to earn bonus in recognition of your contribution to the company.
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is proud to serve its customers excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Matalan value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from all communities.
Matalan wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the application and interview process and ultimately, in their role. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Dependent upon experience