Liverpool Liverpool Matalan Head Office, Perimeter Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley L33 7SZ 53.4789 -2.8471
Liverpool Head Office
Depending on experience
About the Role
We are currently looking for an experienced Retail Analyst to join the Retail Operations team here at Matalan Head office. As a Retail Analyst you will provide support to the Retail Operations Manager in delivering business growth and also be instrumental in providing data and analysis for all aspects of financial and commercial decision making.
You will produce a comprehensive suite of daily & weekly trading KPI’s for both Store & Area Management team and utilise the BI reporting tools available to ensure information & results are delivered clearly & efficiently to the intended target audience.
- Responsible for the development and evolution of retail driven reporting suites, ensuring there is alignment to the current needs of the business as well as the longer term business strategy.
- Produce a weekly exec report for retail, along with any supporting appendices, for inclusion in the Trade Book discussed at director level in the Trade Board
- Prepare a monthly productivity dashboard & participate in the monthly cost review meetings to discuss key findings.
- Maintain a rolling daily sales forecast for the current & subsequent weeks, to aid with live planning & decision making (e.g. sales level for payroll planning)
- Ensure the provision of flash sales reads throughout the week, working in conjunction with IT to facilitate / refine the automated weekend process
- Ongoing analysis of key operational measures with a view to improving efficiencies & productivity (e.g. payroll deployment by task, till efficiency levels, refund & exchange analysis, tender type analysis, delivery / C&C volumes)
- Investigate & provide key insights on known competitor impacted stores, working cohesively with the Marketing Insights team, producing a quarterly exec report for the senior retail team.
- Maintain a strong working relationships with both Store Development & Branch Merchandising to understand any physical or product driven changes within stores, in order to generate meaningful analysis
- Work closely with the Area Manager team to better understand any local factors impacting on trade, to provide qualitative feedback on performance exceptions and to set appropriate store targets
- Engage in weekly retail conference calls providing updates on performance, short term sales forecast & resolving any ad hoc queries raised.
- Provide a key link between Retail & Finance, enabling Finance visibility of all costs & phasing for the year, along with an awareness of any potential risks & opportunities.
- Responsible the final approval authorisation of COD forms for store salaries, on behalf of the Retail Director, ensuring that costs are maintained within budget
- Allocation of payroll event hours in line with budget, using volume data to support where appropriate (e.g. sale launch units) delivered in a timely manner to enable forward resource planning.
- Facilitate the authorisation of other trading overheads – e.g. staff uniforms, pack & wrap, stationery, hire vans, storage pods & ad hoc equipment
- Act as the BI data steward on behalf of the Retail team, ensuring the ongoing provision of quality data inputs (e.g. relevant store attributes) and engaging in the wider business BI community forum.
- Experienced data analyst with proven track record working within a fast-paced Retail environment
- A strong proficiency in analytics with a robust working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power BI
- Knowledge of Azure SQL Database & TSQL also desirable (but not essential)
- Ability to cultivate strong working relationships across the business
- Comfortable engaging with stakeholders across the whole grading spectrum, up to & including director level
- Can adapt to change in an agile manner, and advocates continuing improvement for the business
- Flexible and able to work to tight deadlines
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Liverpool Head Office
Depending on experience